Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fish is Delicious!

Last night while cooking, I didn't worry about keeping an eye on my dinner...but my dinner kept its eye on me! It was the easiest and coolest looking fish recipe I'd ever cooked.

I bought a red snapper from Central Market that carried a "Gulf Wild" tag. I looked up where my fish had come from and who caught it. How cool! Check out myGulfWild.com and track my fish: GSA1520665.

My only ingredients were olive oil, 2 lbs rock salt, and a 1 1/2 lb whole (scaled and cleaned) red snapper. Here's a great dinner recipe to wow yourself and your guest! (Serves 2)

1) Preheat the oven to 475°F

2) Grease with olive oil a baking pan in which the fish would look comfortable and not like it would flop out.

3) Lay the fish in it and evenly cover it with rock salt until the fish disappears.

4) Place in the oven to bake for 35 minutes, until the rock salt has turned the skin of the fish into a hard crust.

5) Scrape away as much salt as you can from the fish. I recommend moving it to a new dish at this point so you don't get lots of rock salt in your meal.

6) The skin should peel back easily as a loose shell, away from the flesh.The fish's bones lie on a plane flat and parallel to the dish. Take a spatula and lift a fillet of flesh off of the top portion of the fish (below the dorsal fin, lying on top of the bones) and then take the second fillet off the bottom of the fish (above the ventral fins, again lying on top of the bones). The top half of the fish can be your person's serving...since you're a good host and you give your guests the prettier sections. At this point, the fish's spine and bones can be lifted off and discarded. You should be left with the second half's two fillets and the underlying skin. Take the spatula and lift these fillets off of the skin, placing it on your dish.

7) I enjoyed mine covered with pineapple salsa and a side of red cabbage slaw. Have fun!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment